Saturday, June 15, 2013

Waid Books Newsletter/Blog June 15, 2013



WELCOME TO THE WAID BOOKS NEWSLETTER BLOG
JUNE 15, 2013


What's new with Waid Books?

We are currently seeking new authors to be published by Waid Books.  Submissions can be sent in MS Word format only to:  publisher@waidbooks.com.

For more information on our available services please visit our website:  www.waidbooks.com



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




How do you define crazy?  Is it someone who is just totally off and doing erratic stuff?  Is it the co-worker next to you who talks to himself all day?  Is it one of your family members?

What is "crazy" to you?

Crazy for me was not believing in Waid Books.  

From the beginning I knew pretty much what I wanted this company to look like.  I took my time, developed some skills, sought out the right people for necessary tasks and got down to the business of writing and trying to reach my audience. 

Of course there have been setbacks along the way.  Money was funny and change was strange but I kept walking in the direction that would ultimately lead to success. 

Now with 2 books published, 1 book launch party down, 3 authors on board and several projects on tap, I can smell success brewing. Success smells really good!  For me it's not about the number of sales, the big publishing companies coming to call or even how many likes I have on Facebook or followers on Twitter.  It's about getting this written word into the hands of those that love to read.  Period.

"I'm going to succeed because I'm crazy enough to think I can."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Recipe time!!!


June is the month for delicious cherries!  In honor of that we are featuring a recipe for Sweet Cherry Pie found here:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/06/sweet-cherry-pie/


Ingredients:

Dough for a double-crust pie
4 cups of fresh pitted cherries (approximately 2 1/2 lbs unpitted)
4 tbs cornstarch
2/3 to 3/4 cup of sugar (adjust according to sweetness of cherries)
1/8 tsp of salt
Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
1/4 tsp of almond extract
1 tbs cold, unsalted butter, cut into small bits

1 egg, beaten witih 2 tbs water
Coarse sugar, for decoration.

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Stir together cherries, cornstarch, sugar, salt. lemon and almond extract gently together in a large bowl.

Roll out half of chilled dough (use larger piece if you've divided them unevenly) on a floured work surface to a 13-inch round.  Gently place it in a 9-inch pie pan either by rolling it around the rolling pin and unrolling it over the pan or by folding it into quarters and unfolding it in the pan.  Trim edges to a half-inch overhang.

Spoon filling into pie crust, discarding the majority of the liquid that has pooled in the bowl.  Dot the filling with the bits of cold butter.

Roll out the remaining dough into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface, drape it over the filling, and trim it, leaving a 1-inch overhang.  Fold the overhang under the bottom crust, pressing the edge to seal it, and crimp the edge decoratively.  Brush the egg wash over pie crust, then sprinkle with coarse sugar.

Cut slits in the crust with a sharp knife, forming steam vents, and bake the pie in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes.  Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake the pie for another 25 to 30 minutes more, or until the crust is golden brown.  Let the pie cool on a rack.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Physical/Creativity Inventory List

This list courtesy of: "A Writer's Survival Guide" coming soon from Waid Books



Ask yourself the following questions on the same day every week for a month 

(Example:  Sunday 9am from March 1st to 31st)

1. Do I feel creative?
2. Do I have any ideas I would like to flesh out on paper?
3. Do I  feel too tired to write today? Did I get enough sleep?
4. Did I eat a healthy meal today?
5. Do I have water or some other liquid around my writing/creative space?
6. Am I outlining an idea or just writing from scratch?
7. What is keeping me from wanting to write today?
8. If not today, when?
9. Will I continue this story, project, piece later or will it be completed in this session?
10. What is motivating me to create?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We look forward to seeing you next month when our feature will be the York, Pennsylvania Poet Laureate Carla Christopher!

Until then...WRITE...READ...LOVE!!!





WWW.WAIDBOOKS.COM


No comments:

Post a Comment